Thursday 9 October 2008

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Happy National Poetry Day!

The day started early. Ann Atkinson (Peak District Poet Laureate) and I were interviewed on the Shane O'Connor Breakfast Show, BBC Radio Derby. Ann has written a brilliant poem for Shane (a self-confessed poetry sceptic) which she read on air to much applause. Ann and I are promoting poetry in our Village of Two Laureates - Grindleford - and will be joining local writers for poems & coffee at the Maynard at 11 a.m.

Today and all week you can send free poetry e-cards to your loved ones at the National Poetry Day website.

I have in my hands my brand new pamphlet 'The Purpose of Your Visit', published this week by Smith/Doorstop. It has a dazzling magenta cover, and I've surprised myself at just how proud I feel :-) Oh and it's for sale!

If you're in Chesterfield from 5.30 - 7pm today pop in to the library coffee bar, where myself, Janet and Ruth from the library will be dispensing after-work refreshment in the form of poems, tea and cakes.

So, many reasons to be cheerful. Have a great day, take time out for some poetry and here's a tip o' the cap to the late great lyricist, artist and poet Ian Dury.

2 comments:

Mavis Moog said...

Congratulations of your published work. It must feel good.

Can I buy one?

River Wolton said...

You sure can! Either call Smith/Doorstop on 0114 346 3038 or order through their website.